Hannah White, Interim President and CEO of Main Street America, dropped this little statistic at the Main Street Now National Conference in Boston in 2023.
Designated Main Street Districts in the US include over 1.1 million jobs, almost as many people as Amazon.
Amazon’s approximately 1.3 million jobs in the US does not include seasonal holiday help, contract workers, or delivery drivers.
Main Street’s 1.1 million doesn’t include all the downtowns in the US that aren’t designated Main Street Districts and also does not include seasonal holiday help, contract workers, and any other non-employee workers in the districts.
So the comparison is pretty reasonable to me.
Let me know if you use this stat in your community!
About Becky McCray
Becky started Small Biz Survival in 2006 to share rural business and community building stories and ideas with other small town business people. She and her husband have a small cattle ranch and are lifelong entrepreneurs. Becky is an international speaker on small business and rural topics.
- Empty Building idea: Make a Zen-like space for your people – August 2, 2023
- Support small business to pull your community together (video) – July 19, 2023
- Eye-popping Main Street employment stat – July 13, 2023
- How to start a laundromat in a small town on a budget – June 23, 2023
- How small town businesses can market to remote workers and turn them into new customers – May 15, 2023
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2023 results – May 8, 2023
- Rural and small town ideas from the OU Placemaking Conference IQC 2023 – April 5, 2023
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool – March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local – March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign – March 13, 2023